Friday, February 1, 2013

Concert Culture in Europe


I thought it would be fun to reflect on how attending a live concert in Europe is different from here in the states. The first difference was one I noticed before we even stepped foot inside a venue, and that was that liver performances were advertised on billboards, on buses and in the metro stations like movies are advertised here at home. I thought that was really cool and I think it showed that more people go to live performances, which I noticed at the concerts. One maybe obvious difference is that the venues are insanely beautiful and have amazing acoustics. Being in a fancy building like the Musikverein or the Staatsoper really changed the experience for me. Another thing I found to be interesting was at some places, you were required to check your coat, and in that case it was free. I had never checked my coat here at home, I always thought that was something only rich old people did (why pay someone to hod your coat?!). Also, at every concert we attended, if you wanted a program you had to pay for it. Once you were actually in your seat (or standing in the back of the Musikverein to hear the Vienna Philharmonic!) there are a few more differences. One that I loved but caught me off guard the first time I experienced it was that in between movements, members of the audience cough or clear their throats like they have been waiting the whole time but they didn't want to be disruptive. Another thing is that European audiences clap FOREVER. Some of the conductors come out to bow six or seven times! We also noticed that nobody really stands for an ovation, even if the performance was fantastic. Maybe they just show their appreciation by clapping for an eternity.




The gorgeous Musikverein with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra 



The Staatsoper, waiting to see Der Rosenkavalier


One of the many spots in the Staatsoper where you can drink champagne and be classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment