Monday, January 28, 2013

Erika and the Bohemian Dream

This J-term trip was amazing. Our group experienced multiple once in a lifetime experiences, and went to beautiful and historically rich places. Now that it is over, it feels like a vivid dream, that one has been awoken from to be placed back in reality. I would recommend this course to be repeated and that all music appreciators be encouraged to sign up.

--------------


Now for Prague from my perspective!!!


Prague was amazing. As many have told me that it is the most beautiful city in the world, I can now confirm that it is at least the most beautiful city I have seen. The mix of gothic and baroque architecture gives the city a unique flavor. My favorite building of them all must be the astronomical clock tower. It is full of bright and vibrant colors and has been mysteriously chiming for around 600 years. The figurines come to life at the top of every hour, from 9am to 9pm. Needless to say it is an entrancing clock, I went to watch the "show" about three times...

Our second night in Prague we attended a keyboard concert at a church located near the river. Little did we know that we would have the honor of hearing some of the rarest performed music on the intended instrument, piano forte duets. We thought that we were going to hear a harpsichord, but at the first downbeat we all could tell that this was no harpsichord. I was very entranced by the performers fingers as they effortlessly flew over the keys...

The next night we attended a performance of Puccini's Madama Butterfly. The performance was superb. The Consul and Suzuki singers were my favorite, bringing forth warm and powerful singing, with an effortless feel. Pinkerton did a good job at brining forth the role of a quasi villain... Seeing how the main character, Cio-Cio San (Butterfly), is in love with him it is difficult to call him an outright villain.... The character of Cio-Cio San is written to be a 15 year old Japanese geisha. Even though the singer they had singing the role of Madam Butterfly was a magnificent singer, with a powerful voice, I felt a lack of connection between her and her character due to her very mature voice. I did thoroughly enjoy the opera and would love to see more Puccini works.

Our last night in Prague we went to a Czech folk music and dance dinner show. The night was filled with truly entertaining music and dancing, even some of us brave souls took our chances on the dance floor.

All-in-all I enjoyed Prague very much. It held good food, beautiful architecture, and amazing music.

Prague I love you, and I hope to see you again in the future. (Preferably when warmer too...)

No comments:

Post a Comment