Saturday, January 12, 2013

Is this real life? The Vienna Philharmonic just blew my mind.

Sometimes you experience something so awesome that you can't put it into words. I am lucky enough to have that feeling tonight after seeing the Vienna Philharmonic in the Musikverein. I think the music that I heard tonight was the best I will ever hear live, ever. They performed Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Stravinsky's Firebird Suite and Ravel's Bolero. As soon as the they started playing, I had goosebumps. Everything about it was beautiful- their sound, the way they moved, the hall, the acoustics, their phrasing, the huge range of dynamic levels....their pianissimo was so quiet for the amount of players, it was so crazy. We were in the standing section and I could have stood there for at least two more hours because I didn't want it to end. I also appreciated how no one in the audience was talking and also in between movements everyone coughed, like they were waiting until there was a break because they didn't want to be disruptive. This whole trip has been very surreal and we haven't even been here for a week. I know we have many more awesome performances to look forward to but I know tonight's will be a highlight of my life.

Tomorrow we are going to see the Vienna Boys Choir sing in Mass and then in the evening hear Der Rosenkavalier at the state opera house. I'm sure it will be another unforgettable day!











No comments:

Post a Comment